State University of New York, College of Technology at Canton (SUNY Canton)

College Profile

SUNY Canton is Northern New York's two and four-year college for technology, health, management and public service. The College is located on a spacious 550-acre campus in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains near natural attractions such as the Adirondack Park, Lake Placid and the St. Lawrence River. Major cities such as Ottawa, Canada's capital, and Montreal, are within driving distance and perfect destinations for day trips and excursions for students.


Students look to SUNY Canton for an affordable education leading them to the career of their choice. With nearly 50 degree options, including one, two and four-year programs, SUNY Canton provides employers with creative and skilled graduates who are ready for the real world. The College's highly-qualified faculty have on-the-job professional experience, are licensed in their fields, and are current practitioners in their professions who have both outstanding academic credentials and sound technical experience.


The College is constantly looking for ways to enhance the educational experience students have on campus. SUNY Canton is well known for their OnLine program, SUNY Canton OL, allowing students the flexibility to take classes or part of their classes online. Students have plenty to do outside the classroom, with intercollegiate and recreational sports, over 50 clubs and organizations, and local and regional excursions. The campus has also enjoyed new additions and renovations around campus, including a new athletic facility and new dorms, both scheduled to open in 2011.

Institution Demographics

  • Total enrollment: 3,686
  • Undergraduate enrollment: 3,686
  • Graduate enrollment: 0
  • International Student Enrollment: 34
  • Male 49% Female 51%
  • Faculty-student ratio: 20:1
  • Faculty: Full-Time 113 Part-Time 82
  • Number of countries represented on campus: 10
  • Top five countries represented on campus: Canada, China, South Korea, Bangladesh, Mexico

English as a Second Language Program and Services

Does your institution have an Intensive English Program?


Can your institution issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status to a student who has been admitted only to the Intensive English Program?


Does your institution provide courses of English as a Second Language to admitted students?


Does your institution conditionally admit students to degree programs if they have not met the English proficiency requirement?

International Student Housing Options

What, if any, options do international students have for housing?
On or off-campus


Is on-campus housing available for international students?


  • All Female Wing
    This wing will be reserved for female students only.
  • Non-Themed Housing
    These rooms are in co-ed wings and do not have a centralized theme. These rooms are suited best for students who are not interested in living in theme housing but are looking for a more traditional-styled college living experience.
  • The Nocturnal Roo
    This living option is for those who prefer to stay up a bit later and live in a less quiet living environment. Students here will have quiet hours from midnight to 10 a.m. on weekdays and from 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. on weekends. This option is not for those who prefer quiet when studying or trying to get some rest.
  • Intensive Quiet Atmosphere
    Students in this wing will not be permitted to have stereo speakers or use computer speakers and are permitted only headphones for music listening purposes. Quiet hours are continually in effect, with a break from 4:00-8:00 p.m. daily. Students are asked to keep their doors closed when watching television so as not to disturb others.
  • Suites
    This is private, apartment-like living with a living room, bathroom, and two bedrooms. Four students share these suites at an additional cost per semester and they will have to care for their own bathrooms. Suite space is very limited.
  • Rooms with Enclosed Bath
    These rooms will offer students additional privacy with external doors on the hallway, providing a shared private bathroom (three rooms will share a bathroom). Students living in these rooms will have to care for their own bathroom.
  • Vacation Housing
    Students who move to the Canton area and desire campus housing from August to May can be accommodated. Students interested in this lifestyle option will be housed in one residence hall; this is the only residence hall that will be open during vacation periods. Therefore, this request must be made before moving to campus. Vacation stay costs an additional $20 per day (not including international students).
    If you are an American or International student who wishes to learn from and interact with students from other countries, choose this living arrangement. This community is designed to celebrate the differences of our diverse campus community.
  • Community Wing
    This wing is designated for those who wish to live in atmosphere that encourages "independent living." Students who live in this wing will have no direct supervision from professional staff members but will have a self-governing body that will develop rules and regulations for the wing. This wing is part of a residence hall, but only the members of the wing (as well as staff personnel) will have card access to enter it. Only students who are 21 years of age or older, or who have lived in the residence halls at SUNY Canton for three semesters or more, are permitted to live in this wing.
  • Alcohol Free
    Living facilities are provided that have a total ban of alcohol use. Every effort will be made to provide an alcohol-free environment for those students that request it. In this area, students who are over 21 will not be allowed to possess alcohol. In other areas, residents who are legal age can have limited amounts of alcohol in their room if their roommate is also legal age and it is mutually acceptable.
  • The "Go Green! Environmental Awareness" Floor
    This floor will be a place for those students who want to congregate with fellow students interested in environmental issues in both the campus community and beyond. Students on this floor will become involved in efforts to help create a more "green" campus. They will work together to discuss topics at large concerning environmental issues and ways we can work together at SUNY Canton to promote an environmentally friendly atmosphere.
  • Grasse River Community (The Pet Wing)
    This wing is designed to provide a close-knit, family type living environment. In addition, residents on these floors are allowed (with prior approval) to bring small, caged pets from home.
    We're sorry, but at this time we do not permit dogs, birds, or snakes. All other animals are subject to the approval of the Residence Hall Director, and must have up-to-date veterinary records.
    This wing is also designated as Alcohol Free.


Construction of a new apartment-style complex, featuring 83 suites with 304 single-occupancy rooms is now underway at SUNY Canton with a completion date set for August 2011.

Collaborative Programs

We have no exchange programs at this time but expect them next year.


Programs such as 2+1 will be available to students from International Institute of Health Sciences in Sri Lanka in 2012.


2+1+2 program will be available to students from China West Normal University, Chengdu, China next year.


3 week ESL summer program is available to students from Moscow State University, Kazan Finance and Economics Faculty and other institutions. All students welcome.


Other summer programs such as Global Economics and Finance available to partner institutions: Moscow State University, American University in Bosnia, China West Normal University, Kazan Finance and Economics Faculty. For others, please visit

Admission Requirements for First Year and Transfer Students

International students seeking to enroll as first-time undergraduates:


International students seeking to transfer into undergraduate programs:

Visa Information

Does your institution issue I-20 for F-1 visa status and/or DS-2019 for J-1 visa status?

Cost of Attendance and Financial Assistance for International Students

International student
Associates Degree/Certificate Programs:
$ 9,100
Bachelor Degree Programs
: $13,980


Room and Board (this includes the cost of room and 19 meal plan):
Single: $6390
Double: $4940
Triple: $4540
Suite: $5340


Medical Insurance Fee:
Fall Semester: $ 454.00
Spring Semester: $635.75


Parking Fee: $95.95


Alumni Fee: $15.00
Recreational Facilities Fee: $31.00
Activity Fee:
Athletic Fee: $181.50
College Fee: $12.50
Educational Technology Fee: $138.50
Health Fee: $140.00
Transcript Fee:** $ 5.00
Placement Fee:*** $ 20.00
Orientation Fee:*** $ 60.00


** Charged to all students regardless of the number of credit hours.
*** Charged for first full-time semester only.

Financial Aid

Is financial aid available for international students?
No, Even though international students are not eligible for financial aid, they are eligible for international student scholarships up to $5,000 a year based on the grades and/or GPA evaluated by the admissions office upon receipt of transcripts.

Student Activities and Campus Life

Whether it's a concert, a comedian, or a mechanical bull, on-campus student activities are a fun part of student life. There are a wide variety of events at SUNY Canton that students can take part in, including intercollegiate athletics, intramural and club sports teams, and over 50 clubs and organizations, including Afro-Latin Society, African Student Union, Spectrum, Gospel Choir, and Oriental Chinese Club. The great thing about SUNY Canton is you can start up your own club or organization when you get here! The list grows every year.

Contact Info

Marela Fiacco
Director of International Programs
Phone: (315) 386-7177 or 7608
Fax: (315) 386-7929


Meg Bernier
Public Relations Coordinator
Phone: (315) 386-7177 or 7608
Fax: (315) 386-7929


Campus Location

SUNY Canton
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Map this

Application Deadlines

Prospective students are encouraged to submit their application before April 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. Decisions with respect to admission are made on a rolling basis, unless otherwise specified, beginning November 1st for candidates to either semester.